Saturday, June 9, 2007

Correcting errors in the rows below, part 3: adding an increase

The real way to repair an increase you missed is to rip it out and do the whole thing over. This is because the increase would have added yarn to the fabric--and more yarn would have been added to each row or round in the column above the missed increase. Any after-the-fact repair is just a re-distribution of existing yarn, and does not really serve to "increase" the width or diameter of your knitting. So that's the long of it and the short of it. Rip it out and start again.

So--how come you're still reading if you now know the right thing to do?

Perhaps it's because we're not in the ideal world just yet.

Well, if you've just got to (or if you're just going to) slam in a missed increase, here's how to do it.
1. (Above) The missed increase should have been created where the blue tail is (circled in red).

2. (Above) Grab the tail and twist it up to form a loop (this is easiest with a crochet hook). Diligently work as much extra yarn towards the loop as you can--drawing excess yarn from as far as several stitches away from the new loop, on both sides. Draw the tails of the stitches above through the newly-made loop, one at a time, creating a new column where none lay before. For each tail drawn through, again work as much excess yarn as you possibly can from the neighboring stitches in that row towards the newly-made stitch.

As you can see, this trick pretty well distorts the fabric. Nevertheless, if you find yourself compelled to use this trick, and are feeling bad about that, here is a little consolation for you: knitting is so stretchy, so accommodating, that even a messy, distorting, after-the-fact "increase" like this will even out over the years until it becomes far, far less noticeable than when it was new--especially if the increase was only pulled up over a few rows, and especially if the yarn is wool. (Don't ask me how I know...I take the 5th!)


Addendum--be sure to read the comments--there is an excellent suggestion from Mishka on how to make this little trick less obvious. 

--TECHknitter
You have been reading TECHknitting on: adding an increase missed in the row below

4 Comments:

Blogger Luni said...

Oh, this has been sooo great! I've corrected misplaced decreases and yarnovers several times now. This weekend, on another project, I decided that some of my p2togs should have been k2togs, and I dropped down six rows and changed them all, even though they were stacked on top of each other--I was so proud!
Last night, I realized I had gone too far--the first two were supposed to be p2togs. oh well :)
Thanks again for all the help.

June 11, 2007 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

A third alternative to ripping back or the technique you described, is to just smoosh in that increase as neatly as possible right where you are.

Say you're doing sleeves and your supposed to increase every fourth row and you are now on the sixth. Well, just increase right away, and then again in two more to get back to the rhythm of every fourth.

I like this technique for socks, or sleeves since it won't show in these places.

June 11, 2007 at 5:57 PM  
Anonymous marjorie said...

I agree with Laurie M on missed increases (or, in fact, decreases) if they are on something relatively inconspicuous like sleeve seams. If I am knitting the sleeves one at a time and I screw up and space my increases or decreases somewhat unevenly, I make a note and do the same thing on the other sleeve. I figure if they're both the same, I'm doin' fine. (If I'm knitting the sleeves together, I already made the same mistake on both.)

If I missed an increase or decrease in the middle of the piece, though, I'd be compulsive enought to rip and redo. I'd just have to give a "voucher" for a Christmas present or tell the inlaws to go do something while I fixed the problem!

primetimeknitter.typepad.com

June 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Mishka said...

I'm reading back through older posts because I just found this blog. It's really terrific. I agree that sometimes it's just best to sneak in the increase where you can, but if you have to go back, I learned that you should drop down on 3-5 stitches, not just the one over the missed decrease. That spreads the tension a little over more stitches and makes it less noticeable. The same strategies can generally be used for a dropped stitch as well.

July 15, 2007 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home