Monday, October 15, 2012

A museum of knitting and crocheting

Welcome to the 7th season of TECHknitting blog!  Summer's over, the garden has been put to bed and the knitting season has begun. This year's installment of the blog begins with an important public service announcement about a possible museum in the works.  Read on...

* * *

If you could wave a magic wand and set up a museum of knitting and crocheting, what would you include?  Fair Isle or yarn bombingBohus or math knitting? Irish lace or hyperbolic crochet? How would you organize it--profit-based or non-profit?  Would it include a conference center? Classrooms? A yarn shop?  Or would it be part of another museum, a historical museum, say?

Or how about something new? What would you think of an on-line museum?  A searchable digitized data base of knitting and crocheting through the ages? How about a K/C swat team of experts trolling through garment collections languishing in museums all over the world, sorting through, then putting knit and crocheted garments on-line with high resolution images of the front and back?

A flight of fancy, yes, but it might not be...someday.

The idea of a knitting museum, real or virtual, is the brainchild of a knitter named (in a delightful bit of nominative determinism) Karen Kendrick-Hands.

Karen is thinking about these issues and more, and she's put together a symposium, taking place in Madison WI November 8-10, 2012, and open to anyone who has an opinion or an interest (and can come up with the registration fee, or is willing to volunteer in lieu of fee).  Karen's ideas have been found worthy of support by TNNA, which gave her a grant to run this symposium and by the Wisconsin Historical Society, which is a co-host and site-provider.  Some VIPs from the world of knitting and textiles have also been attracted to the idea--Trisha Malcolm (Vogue Knitting) as well as Jack Blumenthal (Lion Brand Yarn) will be part of the panel discussion, along with with museum and textile experts.  A keynote speaker will be Susan Strawn (author, Knitting America).

Are you interested?  Here's the link for further info, and thanks to Karen for taking the lead on this exciting project.  Maybe one day knitting and crocheting will have their own museum.  And maybe it's not so fanciful after all: if the quilters can do it, why can't we?

PS:  If interested, hurry.  Registration closes soon.


8 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Welcome back!

October 15, 2012 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

So glad you're back! You were missed.

October 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Awww--it's great to BE back!

October 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM  
OpenID murushi said...

Welcome back!

And thank you for letting us know about this great GREAT idea!!! Wouldn't it be awesome to have this museum!

October 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

There was a sock museum at the first Sock Summit too.

October 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM  
Anonymous binzer said...

You're back! I've been a long time fan and lurker and use this site as reference more than any other.

I'm finally de-lurking because I actually have a knitting question! I'm just near the end of a super long cast-on, and there's a knot in the yarn! I don't really want to start over since I'm worried that I'll hit a knot again (murphy's law) and I may end up going berserk or giving up.

I'm using a machine washable/dryable cotton, so I don't want to do anything that's not sturdy. A russian join seems like an option, but I've never used one and don't know if it's too flimsy or not. I could also overlap two strands for several stitches and weave the ends in later, but I don't want an edge that's lumpy or sloppy looking. The yarn is DK weight on US6's, and I'm doing a cable cast on.

Chances are I'll have the willpower to just start over in the morning, but if you do have any tips it might make for a good blog topic (I've also had the same knot problem casting off, incidentally).

Thanks for all your tips and tricks! I haven't been knitting very long but everyone thinks I'm some sort of expert. I think it's all thanks to you :)

October 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Bizner--thanks for your kind words about TECHknitting blog. It's great to hear that you are finding it useful, thanks for letting me know.

As to your question, are you doing a cast-on which starts the garment proper--in other words, not a rolled edge or any other sort of "hiding" or provisional edge? If so, then I think you have run into a problem which is actually going to require you to start over again with a better stretch of yarn.

If this is a problem which seems to keep coming around to bite you, consider running the entire length of yarn you plan to use for the cast on through your fingers first, to detect any knots before you start. (It is for this reason, among others, that I have learned to re-wind my yarn into cakes before use, running ALL the yarn for the whole project through my fingers as it runs from the swift to the ball-winder--see the post of 1-17-11, or cut and paste this link into your browser window:

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2011/01/ball-winder-useful-tool-especially-when.html

Best regards, TK

October 18, 2012 at 6:27 AM  
Anonymous binzer said...

thanks for the quick response!

Yes, unfortunately I'm doing a cable cast-on into moss stitch, so the edge will be very visible. I quite enjoy having my yarn store wind everything for me, but I think you're right that I should start doing it myself.

Knots are a problem I almost never run into (I go through dozens of skeins without seeing one) except at the most inconvenient times that necessitate frogging or starting over.

Anyways, I feel much better knowing that there's nothing that can be done, so thanks again for the speedy response!

October 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home