Sunday, May 8, 2011

My sweater is too long, my sweater is too short...

Changing the length of a garment is actually fairly easy (at least conceptually).  The technical details are in a previous TECHknitting post called "length reassignment surgery."  The purpose of this post is really only to provide an updated link for folks (and they are many) who have not been able to find the surgery link through a search-engine search: the title of THIS post is directly on point, whereas the title of the surgery post was not very findable.

--TK
This is the second in a series on garment correction. The others in this series include
Part 1: My sweater is too wide
Part 3:My sweater is too tight under the arms/at the bust/chest--the magic of gussets
Part 4: My hat is too loose
Part 5: My sweater slips off my shoulders
Part 6 (still to come): My sweater is too small around my middle

6 Comments:

Blogger aafke7 said...

What should we do without you?
Thanks for all excellent advise! It's a joy to read!

May 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

These are so fun (and informative) to read. Thank you. Could Part 3 be extended to include too tight in the belly? My recipient's girth changed on me (I've been working on this project for a while - lol).

May 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I enjoyed your post on My sweater is too wide... My problem is that my sweater already has panels of cables and other items and I am not sure how to take it in......Suggestions?

May 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger ten said...

My sweater is too long because designers think larger women must always be taller, and in fact I am short. It's the arms that are killing me. I can shorten the armholes by knitting fewer inches after the armhole shaping, but then it doesn't match the sleeve cap directions, and I cannot figure out how to change them. I am stuck knitting raglans or sleeveless vests until someone helps me out with the math for this. Help!

May 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Ten--there is a solution which does not involve math. Make up the sweater with the shorter armholes. Next, take a piece of polar fleece--the thinnest you can buy. Sew up the front and back of the sweater at the shoulders. Lay out the front and back and trace, onto the polar fleece, the shape of the armhole. draw up the rest of the arm per the pattern schematic, adjusting for your own arm length (so here is your chance of making the arm shorter and making it decrease at a faster rate. Baste (baste=large stitches, sewn quickly) the polar fleece arm into the armhole, then baste shut the side seams of the sweater and arm (one long seam on each side.) You have now got a pattern arm to work with. If you like the size arm you have created (the length, sleeve cap length, etc) good. If not, take out the basting and draw another, better arm, based on how the first one fit. Once you have a nice, fitting arm, unbaste the polar fleece and lay it out. Now, use your stitch and row gauge to translate the polar fleece pattern-arm into knitting. This sounds like (and is!) a bunch of work, but it will result in a nice arm which fits the armhole, and fits your arm. Once you have done this once or twice, you will have a much better idea of how to customize arms to fit YOU.

May 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Karen--I guess you must change all the stockinette part into ribbing, or try the serger method...

May 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home