Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Felted Mitten Tutorial in Knitcircus e-Magazine

The new issue of Knitcircus e-magazine is out, and contains a tutorial by TECHknitter (hey, that's me!) for making felted mittens, as part of the fall pattern collection.

Here's the link.

These kids' mittens are very easy to make--very forgiving of mistakes. Although made by hand, these are actually superior in performance and durability to high-tech winter fabrics. The "alien eyeball" pair you see with purple cuffs are quite used: they were worn as the only hand-coverings for two entire winters by an active boy, here in the frozen north of Wisconsin before being photographed! Now outgrown, they are still good for further wear by another, smaller child.

There's just one little error in the pattern presentation: The e-magazine (which contains a sort of a catalog for the pattern download) indicates that the mittens are made with Blue Sky Alpaca, but they are not. The actual pattern in the download correctly identifies the mittens as being made with either Ella Rae Classic/Ella Rae Superwash worsted-weight yarns or Dalegarn Hielo /Falk DK weight yarns.

--TK

7 Comments:

Blogger Experimental Knitter said...

Can you felt superwash? Or are they not felted (sorry if mistaken, they look felted on my monitor)?

August 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Experimental--the CUFFS are unfelted and the mittens themselves are felted. Neat, hey?

August 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Unfelted cuffs...fantastic! Can you post a link to Knit Circus for everyone? Thanks and keep the great info coming!!!

August 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

...and you're one step ahead of me. I'll read more carefully next time...

August 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Dropped Stitch Knitter said...

These look amazing! Might have to give them a go...

I'm not a big felter, but for these adorable mittens, I'll give it another chance.

August 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I discovered your blog through Googling Kitchener stitch. I learnt basic knitting from my mother back in the '50s. Everything else I've taught myself, and there's so much that I never realised I didn't know! In fact, I've crocheted for years because my knitting was poor. Now I have two grandchildren I want to get back to knitting, and your blog is going to teach me how. Thank you!

August 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

sooo cool, very funky!

November 30, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home