Friday, April 23, 2010

New information on buttonholes

Addendum, June 1, 2010: There is now a VIDEO about the new Tulips buttonhole--click here!

In the upcoming release of Interweave Knits, summer 2010, among the wonderful new designs and terrific articles, there is an article about buttonholes by TECHknitter (that's me!). Some older buttonholes will be reviewed and updated. Also, there will be some information about how to properly sew on a button and about buttonhole placement. But the most exciting thing (for me, anyway!) is that a new buttonhole technique will be revealed which I've been working on for years and years.


Truthfully, after finally figuring out all the parts, it was not clear to me how it could be explained or illustrated, and I was ready to give up on ever bringing it to public attention. However, Eunny Jang, the editor of Interweave Knits, insisted on having a buttonhole article, and would not take "no" for an answer. Under her pressure, I kept plugging away at different methods of explaining it, and finally hit upon one. So, thanks to Eunny and her stubborn insistence, this new buttonhole is waiting to meet you all in the summer 2010 Interweave Knits.



One year after this article comes out in Interweave Knits, the copyright reverts to TECHknitting blog, so watch this space in about a year for the complete illustrated details on-line. In the meanwhile, check out the print version, at your local bookstore or supermarket, or in your public library.

I hope you will like this new article and will try the new buttonhole.

Good knitting --TK

PS: Don't forget, the Poll with a chance at a Prize is still running. Get your comments in by May 15 to qualify for a drawing of a prize--$20 gift certificate at the yarn shop of our choice.

17 Comments:

Blogger C said...

Congrats on another published article! I will be sure to buy the issue when it comes out ...and check here for it again in a year!

April 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger kmkat said...

Congrats! And isn't it great that IK lets the copyrights revert to the authors?

April 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Kmkat--you're not kidding. That one of the things that makes working with IK so wonderful--it's the best of both worlds--they get the scoop, and I get to re-print the results a year later. Seems totally fair to me and I do like working with them a LOT!

April 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I was super excited about your kitchener stitch article and even more excited when I actually managed to get hold of a copy of IK here -not so easy on the other side of the World. I'm off to get a subscription now -wouldn't want to miss out on any of your other ones.

April 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Laura Sue said...

AWESOME! Can't wait until mine shows up in the mailbox.

I'll be visiting Wisconsin in June. DH is from there and we've gone back the last couple of years. Very nice state!

April 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Ingerlise said...

I'm so glad that Knits comes to my mailbox in Denmark. So if... we don't see more in the air from Iceland it will arrive soon (I hope)
Looking forward to see your article

April 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM  
Anonymous martha in mobile said...

Congratulations! I very much look forward to reading and trying!

April 24, 2010 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I can't wait to see this next issue. I think button holes are something that can make or break a good finish so I look forward to reading your take on them.

April 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Wow, that's great! We definitely need an improved buttonhole. I've stayed away from projects with buttonholes, as they are always too stretched out and unattractive after a while.

Too bad I can't see this magazine in France. So, I'll patiently wait for a year, lol.

April 30, 2010 at 1:38 AM  
Blogger Luni said...

I just finished the 4th of 5 buttonholes on my current wip. I tried different techniques on each one, but I don't like any of them. So I came here to search for your article on buttonholes--I was sure you had written one. I had no idea the search would be so timely! I'll look forward to reading the article.

May 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Just received my copy of IK and have your article earmarked as a keeped. Thanks!

May 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM  
Anonymous granjudy said...

Just watched Eunnie Jang demo your tulip buttonhole in a video on the Knitty site. yeeHaw! You rock technique! You've given us a landmark improvement here. Thank you.

May 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!!

Just swatched tulip BHoles on st st & on ribbing.

My 4 in wooden DPN worked well for a 3 st BHole - just slipped a couple of sts right of BHole on to this needle. I needed to practice to see which smaller needle gave the best matching CO loops to match the BO loops.

My first attempts were too tight on my ribbed band but (as with everything knitted) improved with practice.

For a whole band of BHoles, I prefer a YO BHole and smaller buttons.

I think this BHole is best for a large single buttons (or 2 or 3)- it is a bit tricky but WORTH IT for "showy" buttons!!!!

June 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger C said...

Sounds like a great article, but I missed that issue :(

Any idea when we'll see it here?

July 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi C--after the gardening season would be my guess!

July 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I was wondering if you had forgotten to post the notes for the tulip buttonhole. It's been about 18 months. Just sayin' is all --

February 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger TECHknitter said...

Hi Leslie--I am finally getting around to this now. The current series of TECHknitting posts is all about buttonholes, and the tulips buttonhole ought to make an appearance within the next two weeks. Thanks for bugging me about this!
Best, TK

February 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home